Friday, November 09, 2012

From Darrell’s Chair

Yes folks, we’re still alive.  Yes folks, we’re still here in L. A. (Lower Alabama) on our ERPU lot.  And yes folks, things are beginning to “spool up” here at Rainbow Plantation.  Gary and Millie, the park managers, arrived back on Saturday and Larry and Babs (the cook) will be returning this week.  Judy has been busy working on her Christmas projects, attending Stitch and Chat and the Quilting Guild, and volunteered at the clubhouse doing seat cushion covers.  Darrell has been busy doing, umm???, doing what?  I don’t know, but I can tell you that I never get finished. 

We’ve both been doing a fair amount of reading.  I finished reading the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr.  I must say that I wasn’t overly impressed with the last three novels in that series – the subject matter and some of the language was not what I care to be reading.  Hopefully, if Nevada Barr writes another novel in the series, she’ll clean it up a little.  Judy has her favorite authors as well.  She enjoys Debbie Macomber / Karen Kingsbury type of novels.  I’m quite sure she would like Jan Karon’s Mitford series.  I started reading them last year, but got bored with them after the first four novel.

I still need to get the topper awning over the bedroom slide repaired.  First I have to pull it off the coach and then I’ll need to take it to an awning shop to have it stitched (none of the girls at Stitch and Chat have a sewing machine heavy enough to do the job).  Then it will need to be reinstalled.

Some of the highlights over the past few days were getting together with Paul and Margery to go to L. A. Barbeque for lupper on Tuesday afternoon.  Good meal, great company.  It gave us an opportunity to get to know them even better.  We really enjoyed it.  Then last night we joined in with about 70 other SKiPs for dinner at the clubhouse (SKiPs is what they call Escapees members – abbreviated SKPs which equals SKiPs).  Anyhow, Medical Air Services Association (MASA) provided a free fried chicken dinner to those who would listen to their spiel.  Two favorite words of SKiPs is “free” and “food”; put those two words together and you have yourself a trifecta.    

Can you believe it?  It’s only a couple of weeks to Turkey Day.  And then it will be, “Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, coming down Santa Claus Lane.”  I don’t know about you, but I’m already bored with the Christmas season.  We’ve seen Christmas “stuff” showing up long before the pencil boxes disappeared off the store shelves this year.  Someone said we are celebrating HallowThanksMas this year.  Someone else said that it should be against the law to display candy corn and candy canes on the shelves at the same time.  Sounds reasonable, but we don’t need any new laws or regulations – we’ve got enough already.  What’s more?  Black Friday is now going to start on Thursday; Lord I hope we don’t choke on a turkey bone getting to the store on time.

We finally got through the longest, most expensive, nastiest, and most divisive election campaign of our life time.  I had said that it would be nice to get that behind us so we could have a couple of weeks vacation from election “stuff”.  Well, wouldn’t you know it, on Wednesday morning after the election, George Stephanopolos was talking about what the Republicans would do in 2016.  Really????  Give it a break already!!!!

Well, speaking of giving it a break, I guess it’s time to bring this post to a close.  So all y’all have a great day.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. (I Thessalonians 5:28)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed some of the Anna Pigeon novels then they seemed to get too violent and just kinda ugly! If you like mystery, you might try Michael Connelly. I enjoy his Harry Bosch novels. JA Jance writes a good series about a woman sheriff in Bisbee, AZ (Joanna Brady) and I also like her JP Beaumont character. I also like Debbie Macomber so I guess I am eclectic in my choice of reading material!!

    ReplyDelete