Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Being In Love

I received an email yesterday asking how a snake could be tossed into the outhouse if Aunt Edith was in there with the door locked.  To which I can only reply that that hinged entirely on my Uncle’s building skills (or lack thereof).  Unk never used a square; he didn’t need a square because he used “that’s close enough” instead.  He never used a level since he had his own plumb bob; “Hey, does that look plumb, Bob?”  “Aayuh, gutnay morah beeah?”  And, he hardly ever used a tape measurer; “Unk do you realize that the back of the outhouse is six inches wider than the front?”  “Doesn’t matter, poop (or a word similar to that) runs down hill.”  Sixteen inches on center never entered into any of his carpentry projects; he just nailed in a stud wherever it looked like one needed to be added.  So, anyway, you get the picture. 

Once the privy was completed, there were no boards left that was long enough for the door.  So Unk just used what he had on hand leaving a 10” space at the top of the door which he always claimed was for “vent-lating purposes”.  That left more than ample room for a three foot garter snake to make his way into the facility (with a little boost, of course).  By the way, I think that snake may still be having flashbacks as well.  And now you know the rest of the story.

I’m hooked and I’m in love.  In love with my new water mixable oil paints, that is.  I finally took the time to give them a try and within three minutes had painted this sky picture with clouds.  Not perfect but a good first start.

DSCF8583 

I was fighting the acrylic paints all the way, they would dry out before I was finished painting with them and they just did not spread smoothly or evenly.  Although these paints are not as “smooth” as oil paints, they can be thinned with water and cleaned up with soap and water.  I really didn’t want to have to mess with odorless turpentine so this is a happy medium for me.  Now I’ll sketch out a picture and get to painting; I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but now I can enjoy my hobby without getting frustrated.

Judy was busy too.  She created this embroidered Valentine’s Day card.  My wife has soooo many talents – Beading, Crocheting, Knitting, Quilting, Scrapbooking, etc., etc..  Oh, she’s a great cook, too, if I’d let her get near the stove once in a while.

DSCF8585

Be Sure To Tell Them Darrell Sent You and May God Bless - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment