Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Alex And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I guess that pretty much sums it up from Alex’s point of view.  It was a traumatic day for him to say the least.  He’s home now but can’t write because he’s pretty much slurring his meows.  He is slowly waking from his sedatives and walks about like a sailor on leave coming out of a bar after six months at sea. 

We arrived at the Vet’s just before 10:00.  After a little confusion, they got him right into the surgery room.  The first item on the agenda was a sedative shot.  Because of his size and attitude toward needles, an attempt was made to give him a shot through the holes in the katt carrier.  It was a miss.  A second attempt was made with partial success, but he managed to pull the needle out before the full injection was administered.  Being that he was a little subdued, we took him out of the carrier and I held him with a towel over his head.  He screamed like a banshee, however, within ten minutes of the third attempt he was out like a light.

While we were waiting, I groomed him a little and one of the nurses cleaned his teeth.  Dr. Julie drew some blood for his lab work.  It was a little after 11:00 when I finally left the Vet’s.  Alex still had his surgery ahead of him.  Before surgery, he was “gassed” so that he wouldn’t feel any pain and then the cyst was removed.

The office called just after 2:00 saying the patient was awake enough to pick him up.  Everything went well and Dr. Julie said the cyst was just under the skin.  It didn’t have any roots into the body fat so she’s quite confident that it’s not cancerous.  He has to be on antibiotics for 10 days and will need to get his stitches out in 7 to 10 days – I’m sure that’s going to be a lot of fun. 

He looks a mess right now and won’t allow any pictures to be taken.  Hopefully he’ll have a better day tomorrow.  In the meantime he’ll continue on his Rocky Mountain High for a few more hours.  So that’s it for now.  Thanks for checking in.


  1. Glad to hear all went well with Alex!! He sounds like the perfect patient..haha!! Can't wait to hear about the removal of the stitches. Fun! Fun!!

  2. Glad to hear Alex is doing well!!! you've had a busy vet day for sure..and those days can be hard on us furkid parents...good luck will be checking on his progress :)