Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Wandering America Weekly Report

Alex Is On The Mend

First of all, let’s start with Alex.  He’s acting much better now.  The first few days after his surgery he was rather skittish.  He would lay under the dining room chairs or slip in behind the recliners.  Mom and Dad wanted to hold him and comfort him, but, he is not a child, he’s a katt.  Katts don’t like to be comforted when they are sick or hurt.  They just want to be left alone.  So we were forced to watch him suffer and “lick his wounds” on his own. 

I’m still haunted by his screams of anguish when he was being administered the tranquilizer shots.  I’ve never heard such a cry like that come out of an animal – it was a scream.  The scream was so loud that it could be heard from one end of the veterinarian hospital to the other.  It broke my heart.  Then, after the shot took it’s effect it was even more haunting.  There he lay totally immobilized.  Unable to move or speak.  His eyes were fully dilated, but he was aware of what was going on around him – he just wasn’t able to do a thing about it.  I just stood their and petted him hoping that he could feel the love. 

Our main concern, after it was all over, was that Alex’s kattonality would be changed forever.  We were afraid that he would be skittish around Mom and Dad for the rest of his life, but that seems not to be the case.  He is returning to his old self and we’re glad see it.

Anyway, we are glad that it is all over with and pray to God that we never have to put either of our fur kids through that again.  The biopsy results came back showing that the cyst was in fact benign.  Now just one hurdle remains, Alex needs his stitches out.  We have decided that rather than taking him back to the vet’s, we’ll remove them ourselves.  If he even sees that building, he’ll go berserk.  Dr. Julie is going to give us a “magic pill” that will hopefully calm him down and make him drowsy.  That will enable us to remove his stitches without requiring any for ourselves.  That will happen on Friday morning so, y’all be sure to pray for us, ya ‘ear?

Miss Judy Gets Scrappy

Yes folks, you heard it first here.  I know that those of you who know her can’t believe this, but it’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  She tore into her quilting supplies with a vengeance and came out with all her quilting remnants (scraps).  Then she began cutting and laying out squares for a “scrappy quilt”.  Yep, this will accomplish two things:  1.  Clean out her closet of excess quilting material, and  2.  Make herself a nice “cuddle quilt” for wrapping up in during the colder winter nights. 

Now, you maybe wondering whatever happened to my “rag quilt”?  Well, I’ve decided that I want one more color in the quilt and we haven’t found the right one yet.  We’ve looked a couple of times, but nothing has jumped out and said, “Take Me Home!!!”  Miss Judy will get started on that just as soon as I have my third piece of flannel in hand.  I’m looking for a green with some sort of a pattern in it.  Don’t ask me to describe it beyond that, I’ll just know it when I see it.

The “Ta Do List” Strikes Back

Other than our katt drama, we worked around the house.  Both the RV and the truck have had a nice warm bath and are ready to play outside in the dirt again.  Now comes the task of hand waxing both of them; that is, if I can catch them and hold them down long enough.  There are some maintenance issues that cropped up while washing the rig.  Some screws that need to be tightened, some paint touch up work that needs to be done, and a couple of repair items to take care of (the biggy - replace all the rubber gaskets around the slides).  Also, it’s time for an oil change on the truck; it’s always something.

So, that’s two items scratched off and two items added to the Ol’ Ta Do List.  At least I’m not going backwards, yet anyhow!  But I’m not making any progress either and we have a long “Ta Do List” for both outside and inside projects.  Oh yes, the lawn needs mowing again – Sheesh!!!

An Update On The Non-Routine Routine  

How’s the “Non-routine routine” going?  Pretty hit or miss right now.  Like we said, life seems to get in the way from time to time.  But, we are keeping on, keeping on.  Judy has been working on her quilting while I haven’t been doing any painting – where, oh where, does the time go?  Before we can hardly blink another week flies on by.  It’s hard to believe that we’ve been back to the Plantation for over two weeks now.  Anyhow, I do want to get back to painting again – soon.

I have managed to do some Bible reading and exercise over this past week; especially swimming.  Judy and I have been going to the pool quite frequently, however, I have only be treading water for a half hour and not swimming laps.  I’ve used the elliptical a couple of times as well this past week.  The goal is a half hour each morning on the elliptical and then a half hour of swimming laps.  It takes time to establish daily habits.

Life Gets In The Way From Time To Time

If you remember, from way back when, we cut our summer travels short so we could return to Alabama so Judy could get some medical issues attended to.  Well, yesterday was her doctor’s appointment (she had to get some lab work and a mammogram done first).  The doctor conducted another ultra sound to compare with the one that Judy had done in Maine last June.  After the comparison was completed, Dr. Wells is recommending that she has a biopsy done – that’s scheduled for a week from Friday.  We’re praying that the biopsy will come back benign with no signs of cancer.

This Week’s Outing

Can you believe it?  This week’s outing was a trip to Spanish Fort, Alabama to visit Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, Home Depot, Lowes, Michael’s, PetSmart, and Barnes & Noble with a stop at Allegri’s Farm Market on the way home.  I know, I know, that’s not much of an outing, but as you read from the last two articles, we are still struggling to get control of our non-routine routine. 

An attempt was made to come up with that illusive third piece of fabric for my rag quilt; we struck out.  I did buy a book on mixing acrylic and oil paint colors; gotta produce a painting pretty soon before it becomes an item on the Ol Ta Do List.  The katts have been asking for some more Blue Spa Indoor Katt food, but PetSmart was all out; we struck out again.  We were, also, looking for a couple of hanging plants to place outside the shed; we struck out on that one too.  But we did get some items for completing a couple of Ta Do List items so the day wasn’t a total wash out.

After the Amish produce stands in Michigan, our stop at Allegri’s Farm Market was anticlimactic.  We did pick up a few veggies, but, to be honest, I think Bruno’s and/or Publix has just as good of produce as the “Farm Market”.  We did pick up a couple of ears of corn and they were decent; not quite as yummy as the Amish corn, but tasty none the less.

We were planning a trip to the Naval Air Museum, but Rich and Diane Emond are arriving on Friday and they would like to go, so we postponed the trip until this coming week.  At least six of us will be going – Norm, Linda, Rich, Diane, Judy, and I.  We’ll see if we can round up another couple to join in with us.  Hopefully, we’ll have a real outing to share with you next week. 

The Girls Head Out  

The Rainbow Plantation women have been rather active in spite of the fact that it’s still early in the season for a lot of activities.  They have been going on weekly outings of some sort; if you remember, last week it was a shopping trip and luncheon.  Today there were twenty of them that headed for the Derailed Dinner in Robertsdale (Lord have mercy!!)  Babs mixed things up with a numbering system that would ensure that each lady sat with women other than the ones they rode with.  This way new friendships would be developed (I think most of them already know each other anyway).  I sure hope that she (Babs) called this place ahead of time to let them know of the invasion about to take place or else there would be nothing short of utter confusion and mayhem taking place.

Whilst Miss Judy was off herding with the ladies of the park, I worked on this Weekly Report and knocked a couple of small inside items off the Ol’ Ta Do List.  It’s too humid to do much outside today; although, I did a couple of outside chores earlier this morning and came back inside totally drenched.  Talk about working up a sweat!  It didn’t take hardly any work at all and I was soaked. 

Wrapping It Up

After Judy returned home, we meandered over to the pool for a “cool down” dip; it was so warm that it was like swimming in bath water, but it did cool us down a little bit. 

Then we headed out to visit Ruth in the hospital.  She just had her left shoulder replaced.  However, on our way to the hospital, we passed Ron coming home and noticed that he had Ruth with him.  So we did an about face and stopped by their house for a quick visit.  Everything went fine, but she’s recuperating and will be sore for a little while yet.

Tonight is our 242 home group gathering so time is nearing to get underway.  Hope this finds you all well and in good spirits.  Take Care Until Next Week  - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment