Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hitchin’ Up The Wagon

On the road again, I just can’t wait to get on the road again!!!  Well, in a couple of hours that’ll be just where you’ll find us.  We hope to pull up stakes and be outta here by eight o’clock.  ‘Twill be tough though, ‘cause we are still sitting here in our PJs sipping on our coffee with ‘puters in lap and it’s almost seven.

Today it will less than a four hour drive to cousin Cheryl’s where aunt Marge is staying.  Cheryl has invited her three brothers over for a cook out / family get together.  I can tell ya that there is nothing more entertaining that a “Riley Family Reunion”. 

My mom was a Riley.  It was Grandpa and Grandma Riley who had the farm in Monroe, Maine.  A portion of that farm is still in the family today.  My mom was one of ten children (actually eleven, but one of her older sisters died as an infant).  There were five boys and five girls and they grew up on a family farm during the depression – can someone start humming the Walton’s theme song in the background?  Anyway, there are only two siblings left standing today – my aunt Eunice, who owns the hardware store in Belfast, and the youngest child, Louis, who is retired and spends a lot of time on what remains of the family farm.

My uncle Clyde moved to Connecticut after getting out of the Navy at the end of WWII where he met and married aunt Marge.  They moved to the Cape once Clyde retired and that’s where we’ve visited several times in the past.  Marge has rented the house to vacationers for the next couple of weeks so that’s why she is at my cousin’s (her daughter’s) home in Connecticut.

Okay, now that you have all that pertinent information, where do we go from here?  I guess the four of us, Katie, Alex, Judy, and I, get our bags packed, hitch up the wagon, and go west young man, go west!  Well, actually it’s southwest, but I have writer’s license.  See ya from Connecticut tomorrow.

Take Care Until Next Time  - - - - - - -

2 comments: